Veronica Mars Marshmallow - Mexican Hot Chocolate
Okay for anyone who has never seen Veronica Mars & has no idea what marshmallows have to do with Veronica Mars...watch it. Seriously though Veronica Mars fans are known as 'Marshmallows' because you know what they say about Veronica Mars, she's a marshmallow.
This may be a Veronica Mars fan-girl post but the recipe is seriously good. I felt like the best thing I could to mark the release of the Veronica Mars movie was come up with a Veronica Mars inspired marshmallow recipe. I'm not entirely sure why Mexican hot chocolate is what I ended up with...maybe something to do with it being sweet with a bit of a kick? Regardless this is what I came up with & they are majorly good,
The recipe is actually really simple though, not that different to the other marshmallow recipes I've posted (orange spiced marshmallows & elderflower marshmallows) the only difference really is the cocoa powder & the spices.
500g caster sugar
1 tbsp agave nectar
30g powdered gelatine
5 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 egg whites
approx. 1 tbsp. cinnamon
approx. 1 tsp. hot chili powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp chocolate extract (optional)
extra cocoa powder for dusting
- Prep a tray (or a swiss roll tin) with grease proof paper & a layer of cocoa powder
- Combine the sugar, agave nectar & 200ml of water in a large saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves & then bring to the boil until it reaches 127°C (the hard ball stage).
- Meanwhile, in a heat proof bowl mix the cocoa powder into 150ml water until smooth & liquid. Place over a pan of simmering water & sprinkle over the powdered gelatine. Allow to dissolve, stirring if necessary to avoid lumps.
- Remove the sugar syrup from the heat & pour in the gelatine (the mixture will bubble like crazy so stir gently).
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks from. With the beaters running add the sugar syrup to the egg whites slowly. Once the sugar is beaten in, add the spices & extract. Keep beating until the mixture stiffens up, becomes very glossy & much paler than it started out.
- Transfer the mixture into the tray & leave until set (possibly overnight). Once set, turn out the marshmallow onto the remaining cocoa powder. Cut into squares or use mini cookie cutters....preferably Veronica Mars themed...guns, PI licences, motorbikes etc.